On Saturday, March 26th Spencer Pride members were proud to support theBloomington AIDS Walk by staffing an informational table. Although the temperature outside was so cold that we were all bundled up and huddling together, the event was heated by the passion of all of those in attendance.We passed out information about our 2011 Spencer Pride Festival and took sign-ups for the Spencer Pride Quarterly. We networked with a lot of individuals and were very pleased with the interest in our festival that was expressed like those in attendance.
The event had free food (donated by local sponsors) and plenty of giveaways that promoted healthy sexual behaviors. The event was educational and informative and we were happy to be there in support of it.
The following facts were taken from a handout that walkers distributed on their route:
• Worldwide: an estimated 33.3 million people are living with HIV/AIDS
• US: over 1 million people are living with HIV/AIDS
• There are an estimated 56,300 new HIV infectionsin the United States each year
• As of June 2009, Indiana has approximately 4,313 people living with HIV (without AIDS diagnosis) and9,022 diagnosed with AIDS
• Every 9.5 minutes someone in the US is infected with HIV
• 1 out of 5 people with HIV don’t know they have it
For free HIV testing in Bloomington, visit IU Health Positive Link at 333 East Miller Drive. They have walk-in hours on Mondays from 2 pm to 6 pm.