We are disheartened by the wave of anti-LGBTQ+ laws being passed in state legislatures, including here in Indiana. Many of these laws specifically target our trans family, focused on restricting or eliminating their rights. This includes House Bill 1608, which prevents human sexuality education for young kids as student pronouns, and Senate Bill 480, which restricts gender-affirming care for transgender youth, that was signed into law by Governor Eric Holcomb on May 4th. We oppose this and similar discriminatory laws.
Additionally, the Spencer Pride Board of Directors recently made the unanimous decision to remove our Twitter account, after the social media organization quietly removed its longstanding policy aimed at protecting transgender people from targeted misgendering and deadnaming. We leave Twitter alongside many other LGBTQ+ affirming organizations who have also chosen to do so.
For those affected by these laws or other discriminatory actions against the LGBTQ+ and transgender community, we want you to know that you are not alone. If you or someone you know needs someone to talk to or other support, please reach out to the following resources:
- For immediate emergences: Dial 911
- Trevor Project (for people under 25): 1-866-488-7386
- Suicide & Crisis Prevention Lifeline: Dial 988
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- For non-emergency needs, visit the Spencer Pride commUnity center at 17 E. Franklin Street in Spencer, Indiana. You may also access our resources on SpencerPride.org or by e-mailing info@SpencerPride.org.
Please know that Spencer Pride stands with you and is here to help in any way we can. We are a Safe Space for you.